Wednesday, October 1, 2008

priorities

I just discovered this great website yesterday, http://www.nationalpriorities.org/, on which you can compare the cost of war to other issues that this wasted money could be used on (i.e. education, health care, etc.).

With that in mind, I noticed my cable box voucher on my dresser this morning (as I always do...it just stood out more this morning), wondering how in the world the government seems to find it necessary to give $40 to every American who wants it to ensure that everyone has cable...what's wrong with this picture (pun partially intended)?

I realize that national health care, education, etc. would all cost a lot more than $40/person, but this definitely does speak to our country's priorities. Hey, at least we'll still be able to get our Desperate Housewives...even if it means that people stay desperate.

*Speaking of desperate, check out http://www.troublethewaterfilm.com/; I saw this movie last night...it's a documentary by 2 people from the ninth ward who stayed for Katrina (and a couple of Michael Moore's folks they got hooked up with). Very powerful.

No comments: